Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pre-Anniversary Get-Away

{San Antonio & Sea World}

Our anniversary isn't until September 19th, BUT that's a home A&M football game, and we opted to enjoy a weekend away AND go to the football game :) Plus we didn't go anywhere last year, so we felt completely okay with it this year.

We stayed at the St. Anthony's hotel in downtown San Antonio, only a block or so away from the river walk. The hotel was nice, but the bed was about 4 1/2 feet off the ground, which made it completely necessary for me to literally run and JUMP to get on! Made for some late-night laughs ... especially after a margarita :)



Friday night we drove to SA, checked in, and wandered around the River Walk for a while before sharing some fajitas and margaritas at a place called Ritas. We even stayed outside (despite all the nasty cigarette smoke) just because I feel like eating a place ON the river walk isn't the same if you can't see it!



Saturday found us up, breakfasted, and on our way to SEA WORLD!! I was so excited about this, and I think Bryan found my excitement contagious :) Forgive the bunches of pictures ... I'll try to stay minimized and just hit the highlights.

Our favorite thing the entire time was the Sea Lion show .... SOOO good. Before the show we just, you know, hung around with the Sea Lions and Seals :)







Then the show! It started with this guy getting the audience relaxed and laughing before the main event. Then out come the stars! I am still impressed - seals that can go through a filing cabinet, pretend to use a magnifying glass, follow a script, a massive 2,000lb something-or-another that can look ashamed and even do sit-ups. I mean, WOW. Bryan and I were both laughing hysterically - it was wonderful.







Immediately following we darted over to see Azul - the show with the synchronized swimmers, dolphins, divers, whales, birds, etc. It was also impressive, but in a flashy way. My stomach did flip flops when those divers practically jumped off the roof. The swimmers that work with the dolphins can dive about 20 feet and hold their breath for at least 2 minutes. Insane. Who are these people anyway?!





The last show we saw was Shamu - because you can't go to Sea World and NOT see Shamu! The water shooting everywhere, the lights, sounds, music and whales slashing and jumping did not disappoint. Check them out:





We then decided to go feed the dolphins. We could even touch them. Pretty unreal.







Lastly, we checked out the sharks and the aquarium. Very cool.





I know it's weird, but we decided not to ride any of the roller coasters, even though we both enjoy them. I've had a neck injury bothering me pretty badly for a few months now, and we decided not to risk doing more damage. I would have had no problem with Bryan riding them and me cheering him on (or going back to look at some more animals), but he opted to pass. It was so much fun even without the rides.

We went back to the hotel, showered, changed, took a quick nap, and headed out to get - you guessed it - more Mexican food! (We were in San Antonio after all.) We decided not to eat at Sea World, so we were pretty hungry. I had received a recommendation for this place (Rosarios) from a woman I regularly see at the Bark Park. It did NOT disappoint. I want their recipe for Enchilada Suizas so I can make it all the time ... ohhhh my goodness, yum.

I know it's bad, but Sunday we skipped church in favor of sleeping in for a change and meeting a friend for lunch at a place where Man vs. Food had an episode!! Check out the size of these pizzas!



We're home now and picked up the puppy from Willow Creek where he had a BLAST. It's time for another week at work! And then next weekend we can say "Happy Anniversary" to each other for real :)

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, I LOVE Sea World! I'm glad y'all had a great trip. Sounds like you had a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete