Monday, September 19, 2011

Weekend Part 1: Other Stuff

This weekend was fun! I've been classifying it in my mind as the "football part" and the "other stuff." This particular post will focus on all the other stuff ...

Friday evening after work Bryan and I headed over to Steven's house to hang out and let Maverick play with his German Shepard, Miko. Despite the huge size difference, they actually play really well together! We went to Chilies for dinner, had margaritas and watched football while the pups destroyed some toys and played chase and tug for several hours. It was so good to see a friend we haven't hung out with for a while!

Once we got back home we planned to go straight to bed, especially since it was late and we hadn't been getting too much sleep, but our plans changed. Instead, I took some more sinus medicine (anyone else suffering from major allergy issues this past week!?) and we grabbed our folding chairs and walked down the street to join our neighbors. Since we were joining late everyone else had already had MANY stiff drinks, but we joined the fun anyway :) In fact, it was really entertaining to hear what our neighbors share after too many drinks, haha. Mark had his tunes cranked up, all the kids were in bed, and it was basically a big Dr. Phil session with 8 or so of our neighbors, peppered with folks randomly singing solos to the music. At one point this slow jazzy song came on and all the couples slow danced in the middle of the street ... I love it when my hubby slow dances with me :) It turns out that it's even more fun when it's 1am, we're exhausted, sweaty, twirling around on the pavement, and 100% happy. New favorite memory of our block!

Poor Maverick was sooo sleepy after playing with Miko for several hours, and then playing with all of our neighbors' dogs until wayyy too late, so he was ready to crash when we finally went to bed. Bryan and I couldn't give up the tunes though so we fell asleep listening to old school love jazz songs ... I think Pandora is going to be a new evening time must!

Saturday we may have slept in a teensy bit :) Or a lotta-bit :) Bryan took Maverick over to Willow Creek Ranch for the day since we were going to head to College Station that afternoon to watch the Aggies play. More on that in the next post ...

Before the game, however, I had to make a birthday cake for Duncan Ford, a friend of ours.
Leah asked if I could bring along the Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes for their party, and I decided I could convert it into a cake.

Here's what I did differently to make it work:
1. I made the cake batter the same way, but put it into 2 round cake pans. (And I only made HALF of the recipe for everything because it makes a lot.)

2. Once I dumped the first cake (carefully), I poured the ganauche (did I spell that right?) on top, again carefully, to give it the "middle" feeling.



3. I EXTREMELY carefully put the second cake on top. It actually went far better than expected. Make sure to grease your pans REALLY well if you're going to try this!



4. Iced and labeled. Happy 29th Birthday, Duncan!



The party wasn't until Sunday, but I wasn't sure I'd have time on Sunday before the party, so I got it done a little early.

Since I'm skipping the game for now, we'll fast forward to Sunday. We ended up accidentally sleeping through the 9am service, and Maverick was exhausted from Willow Creek, so although I feel bad missing, we did skip church.

We woke up in time for Duncan's birthday party and the kick-off at noon though. (We got something like 11 hours of sleep! It was very much needed, and our attitudes have improved accordingly :)

At the party there was DELICIOUS Mexican food, lots of people, lots of football, and Maverick got to hang out with Waylon. I love having those opportunities to meet friends-of-friends, because it's always so interesting to meet other people and really hit it off with some. It was fun!

Sunday night I babysat for our neighbor's kiddos, and Bryan worked some on the projector. It's getting there!! Don't forget about our A&M vs. Arkansas game party at our house on October 1st!



Stay tuned for the A&M vs. Idaho game update!

No comments:

Post a Comment