Monday, April 18, 2011

Hourly Pay?

Tutoring is a great part time job - especially as a temporary measure until I can figure out something more permanent. It's a little frustrating because I mostly work in the evenings and weekends when Bryan is home. Since this is temporary, we're not complaining - but it will be nice to have a normal "day time" job again, either part time or full time, so that our times off will mesh a little better!

I'm frequently asked what I charge an hour .... well, since I'm contracting through a company, I go by their rates. This is somewhat misleading, however, because some students take a lot of prep work! This means what I'm paid actually gets divided up between my prep work, driving time, and actual tutoring time. Prep work usually takes an hour ... driving time for all of my students so far is about an hour round trip ... and then tutoring itself is either an hour or hour and a half per session. Meaning what I get paid is more like per every 3 hours, not every ONE hour. See what I mean? And then I'll have to pay taxes. And fill my car up with gas. I'm pretty sure I should get paid more ... and I would if I was a private tutor instead of a contractor. Maybe I'll just have to branch out and go for it on my own.

OR maybe I'll find a job! Keep praying. I've done a lot of applying, but since most districts and schools are firing instead of hiring, it's really kind of a bleak time for searching for education jobs. We'll just see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment