Thursday, February 13, 2014

20 Months Old (yesterday)

After wishing Ruth a happy SECOND birthday (whoa) and Molly a happy HALF birthday (again, whoa), I started feeling nostalgic and looked through lots of Clara's pictures over the past 20 months.

When did my baby become such a sweet, precocious, loving little girl!?

The pigtails slay me :)

18 months was turning point for me as a mother, and I think the last month has been a turning point for Clara in terms of learning. 

- She can count to 3, and select the correct number of items to reflect 1, 2, or 3.
- She can name and make the sounds over more than 25 animals. (Favorites are: cows, sheep, monkeys, ducks, birds, cats, puppies and owls, but she'll gladly settle for books or pictures of ANY animals.) The wooden animals we magnetized were a BRILLIANT idea and investment. 
- She can knows the signs for many words (more than I realize actually) like star, sky, children, etc. 
- She learns these more at school than home so I'm not as familiar with them.
- She can climb up and down stairs, go down slides, swing and throw a ball.
- She LOVES music: dancing & singing. Her current favorite songs are the Wheels on the Bus, Ring Around the Rosie, Yankee Doodle, Old MacDonald had a Farm, and Ole. 
- Puzzles enthrall and frustrate her equally :)
- She would FAR rather be outside than inside.
- There is exactly ONE show she'll watch, and it's a Preschool Prep movie called Colors. Yellow is her favorite, followed by Purple. Thanks to this show, she has developed a huge fondness for coloring, and will ask to color, especially if she realizes suddenly she's looking at something yellow :) She is developing a full stash of fun paintings, crafts and drawings in the "Clara Tub."
- She likes to walk the dogs and boss them around, telling them to "shhh, hush hush puppies" or tell them to "ooo 'otty!" (go potty!) She has also started helping me feed them which takes FOREVER but is super cute. 
- Reading is still her number 1 favorite thing, followed by eating and being tickled :)
- She will get her socks, shoes and jacket when asked, and "help" put them on.
- She is still VERY attached to her blanket and prefers a paci to help her go to sleep.
- She loves her preschool class and has developed a special way of interacting at performing at school that her teachers enjoy
- She still won't drink milk, but likes yogurt and cheese
- Picky eater!! gahhh, but loves applesauce, grilled chicken nuggets, fruit, yogurt and crackers so we manage to keep her full
- She likes to put her baby and stuffed animals to "night night" when she's tired
- She gives the very best hugs and kisses, and blows kisses

I know I'm missing SOO much, but these are big parts of her life right now. Despite some long days, I am going to miss her "rock rocking" in her little chair eating cheerios, and holding my finger to cross the street or show me something. I already miss her calling ducks "duckas" - so so sad!! 

She is smart, sweet and caring. I knew I'd love my children before I had them, but I seriously had no idea just HOW much that could be. I am so thankful for this little girl and her curiosity and sense of adventure. To have that type of zest for life always!!

Happy 20 months baby girl, we'll be celebrating 2 years old before I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment