Monday, January 25, 2016

A Couple of Space Cadets - an idiom skit

As a teacher I frequently find myself completing the assignments I give to students so that I will know (A) how long it will take them, (B) how difficult or easy it will probably seem to them, (C) anticipate the questions they may ask, and (D) provide them with an example of what the assignment should look like when they are finished.

Right now we are exploring literary devices, both in the literature we are reading as well as incorporating them in their writing. The focus for Wednesday's lesson will be idioms.

Idiom → A figure of speech a phrase that cannot be interpreted literally

I'm going requiring my students to write a short skit (~1-2 pages long) utilizing idioms. Bonus points for including puns or allusions (devices we practiced today) as well. I wrote a short skit to give them as an example, and will actually have a few volunteers act it out for me, emphasizing the use of idioms. Because it made me laugh, I thought I'd share it with you (idioms are in blue, allusions are in red, and the pun is in green).


A Couple of Space Cadets

(Two aliens wait in Command Center to journey to Earth.)


Galileo: (Waving his hands in front of Cosmos’ face) Hey Cosmos, hello? Are you spacing out over there or what?


Cosmos: Sorry Galileo, I was thinking about our trip to earth. It should be out of this world!


Galileo: No kidding. Ready to go?


Cosmos: I am! Beam me up Scotty! We don’t want to miss the boat, so let’s hit the road.


Galileo: The Galaxy awaits us.


(They climb into the rocket ship, fiddle with some buttons, and stare blankly at the sign that reads “Ready to Rock” that should be lit up, but is still dark.)


Galileo: Huh. I guess we really do need a rocket scientist to make this ship work.


(Sign suddenly lights up without them doing anything to make it happen)


Cosmos: Weird. Oh well. 5...4...3...2...1… BLAST OFF!


(Thrown back into their seats, space ship rumbling along)


Galileo: Reach for the stars, man! Second star to the right and straight on ‘til morning.


Cosmos: Stop backseat driving! I’m over the moon about this visit. Do you think the little Earthlings will like us?


Galileo: Sure they will. Why wouldn’t they, with our sunny personalities? It’s only once in a blue moon that they get to meet superior beings like ourselves, after all.


Cosmos: Okay, man. Cool your jets, it’s almost time to land.


Galileo: Hold your horses, I have to wait until we’re within 300 light years before I can hit the brakes.


Cosmos: Earth, get ready for us! We’re about to land with a bang!

THE END.

I know it's really random, but I thought you might enjoy excessive idioms today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment