Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Nursery Shelves

I wanted to put some floating shelves above Baby E's crib. I really couldn't find any that I loved that were ready to go, so we decided to adapt some shelves we found to fit our own needs. After running all over town to different stores, we finally hit the jack pot at Hobby Lobby:


I started off by sanding the flowers and painting them pink while Bryan hung the bigger shelves. (We figured we'd better be sure we really liked them before painting them.)


Here's Bryan hard at work. I'm not sure he appreciated all of my instructions and helpful hints :)


While he continued to hang, and we were pretty positive these shelves would be perfect, I sanded the bigger shelves:


While the puppies took naps and chewed on bones ...


Once the shelves were sanded down and the holes drilled for them to be hung, we spray painted them white, which took about 3 coats.


Once painted, I used the same stencils we used for the nursery tree to decorate the shelves. (The vines weren't used on the tree, but I thought they were perfect):


I added little details, and voila! Extra cute, no?


I also decided to add little "buds" in the same colors as the birds & flowers to the tips of the vines. They stand out more now, I think.


They are now hung up!! Didn't Bryan do an excellent job making sure they are centered and level?


Bryan added the little pink flower hooks underneath the side shelves while I started adding items to the shelves.


And then ... although you can't see the finished product without me giving away her name ... we hung up the yarn letters I made with ribbon (which actually took me quite a while to attach and tie exactly the same lengths). Here's a preview :)


Not very hard at all - just a little time consuming. Everything is coming together so nicely!

1 comment: