Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ribbon Valence

I didn't want full length curtains for the nursery, nor was I overly impressed with many of the valences I've seen pre-made. I got to thinking ... how cute would it be to just have ribbon hanging instead of a structured valence? Knowing this could look either extra cute or really horrible, I enlisted my Mom's help and we got to work.

First stop: Hobby Lobby of course! If you're going to do this, make sure you hit a 50% Off All Ribbon Week Sale, it really helps keep the price of this project down.

Here's the initial line up of ribbon we were going to use. As with all of the best laid plans, we ended up nixing 2 of them for different reasons. One was just too twisty, even after ironing & starching it could curl up on itself, and the super thin ribbon just wouldn't stay glued in place.


Make sure you measure out the same length of ribbon the entire time. We measured by 18" because the rod was going to be hung slightly higher than the blinds were currently.



Once they're cut, make sure they're in the order you want them in:


Then, carefully, hot glue the ribbon around the curtain rod, keeping in mind the correct side of the ribbon ultimately needs to be showing in front. Here's Mom demonstrating this step:


Then step back & take a look. If your initial response is positive - carry on! Grandma was a huge help by cutting the ribbons while Mom & I glued.


Soon you'll have enough to know if you really like it or not. I loved it!


I ran out of the green & blue ribbons we were using, so I'll have to go back and add those in once I have a chance to run to Hobby Lobby and get some more, but that's really easy to do. Here's the result pre-hanging. Once I add the extra blue & green ribbon & Bryan hangs up the rod for me, I think it's going to look really neat! I'll post a picture once we're there.


What do you think?
I know it's not traditional, but I like it.
Thanks for your help Mom & Grandma!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see all of this in person! You've done such a good job of decorating :)

    ReplyDelete