Thursday, March 14, 2013

Short Story Part 3

TRACEY:

            I always walk around to the back of our house to get inside because the lock is so much easier to open. I peeked through the boards of the fence to see Kyle walk through his front door. I wonder how long it will take his mom to figure out I’m not with him.
            “Hello? Anyone home?” I call, once inside, not expecting an answer. Ever since the… well, for the past couple of years, my Mom works a lot of overtime, and my Dad has always been devoted to his job. My older brothers are off at college, so I’m by myself most of the time. It can be nice sometimes, especially if there’s a marathon of Project Runway on TV or something, but I usually spend my afternoons with Kyle so it’s not so quiet.
            Pouring a glass of orange juice and grabbing an apple, I move into the living room. My cell phone is still switched off from this morning when I found out about the article in the school paper. I figured my friends would have plenty to say, and didn’t really want to hear it while I was still at school. Turning it on, I waited for the texts to pop up. Sure enough, 17 texts, 2 missed calls, and a voicemail. Quickly scanning through the texts I see one from my mom, “Working through dinner tonight, order a pizza if you’d like,” and the rest are from my friends.
            I started reading through them, “CALL ME NOW.” “Wth, Trace. When were u gonna tell me?” “NYU!?!?” Hmm. Maybe I’d wait to read the rest until later, especially the five I received from my best girlfriend, Courtney. She’s a little too forthright sometimes.
            I opened up the missed calls. One was from Kyle, probably from when he was trying to catch up with me after school, and one was from an unknown number. Weird. I punched my security code in to listen to the voicemail and was stunned when a voice I hadn’t heard in two years started talking.




In case you are wondering what happened in the first two parts of the story, scroll down on the right hand side of the blog where there's a section with "labels." Click on "writing" and the other posts with the story will be selected. 

The labels also enable you to select topics or types of posts that you like to go back and read, like ones with videos or about holidays, etc.

If you are a fan of reading my blog, please see the section on the right hand side under the archives that says "Followers." Click on "Join this Site" and sign in, following publicly please. I'd love to become a book reviewer for http://www.booksneeze.com/ but I have to have at least 30 followers before I can do that. I would appreciate it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment