Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I'm Lovin' It

The title sounds like we went to McDonalds, but really I'm just loving everything. I'm loving this week of "vacation" known as unemployment (aka not being tortured by my administration) . I'm loving the progress on the house. I'm loving the time I've been able to spend with friends and family lately. I'm loving just about everything (except for maybe the frostbite we might get if we stay outside for more than 5 minutes - burr!)

Yesterday I got up when Bryan left for work around 6:15 and exercised at the YMCA. I went home, showered, and met up with my friend Laura & her .... almost aunt-in-law(?), Nancy, a couple of hours later. Nancy is making Laura & Collin a wedding quilt, where guests will write little notes on 6x6in. squares and then she quilts them together and makes these fabulous quilts. Too bad I didn't know about this idea a year and a half ago!! Anyway, Laura wanted some help picking out the 3 fabrics needed, so I tagged along. It's going to look so pretty! We then had lunch & then she dropped me back off at the apartment where I managed to get a little housework done before I had to head off to Nitsch Elementary (wait a second ... I thought I was done there?) to meet up with my D.I. Team! Our competition is on Saturday, Feb. 19. I decided to keep going with my team because we've all worked so hard, and I don't mind going back to Nitsch a few more times to help them finish :) I worked with my team of 4th graders to make our paper mache "planets". It was a MESS. But we got some of it done! We'll (hopefully) finish the planets Thursday afternoon. Then I drove to the middle of downtown Houston (yuck) for this informal dinner to talk about a potential job for next year - yay! It's through a public charter school system called Yes Prep. I've only been out of a job for a few days and I've already got a few things working my way for the next school year so that's a pretty huge relief and encouragement. The dinner wasn't over until almost 9:30 though - good grief. That's our bedtime! And then I had to navigate downtown to get home in the dark ... which didn't go nearly as well as finding the restaurant to begin with. Thankfully Bryan helped me over the phone to get onto a highway. (All the entrance ramps were blocked!!) I made it home and was in bed (finally) around 11pm. Phew! Busy (and long) day.

Today I slept in ... oops ... I was out so late last night that I just turned off my alarm clock. (Pretty cool that I can do that!) Then I met my Mom at the Barnes and Noble at the Woodland's Mall to do some Costa Rica research for the trip we're planning to take in June (whoop!). We got lunch together and did a little shopping. Pottery Barn is such a cool store! I wish I could afford things in it, haha. Even still it was fun to browse and get ideas :)
I did get a very cute pair of shoes from PayLess!

Anyway, the house is far more interesting than how I'm managing to fill my time, so I'll stop rambling about what I've been up to and show you some pictures!

First of all, one of the most FANTASTIC things so far:



On a scale of 1-10, our fireplace rates at a pretty huge 15. It's wonderful and so incredibly pretty. Ahhhh! I wish we were living there NOW and could get a fire going. It's going to be so nice next winter when these crazy cold fronts come in :) Anyway, I hope you're as impressed as we are!!

In other news, ALL of the cabinets are installed - bathroom and kitchen. They also look really nice. And then today they started laying down tile! Right now there isn't any grout; instead, they've laid out the tile with spacers between them until they pour the grout. I'm no professional, but I think everything is looking so good.

Bathroom between the 2 bedrooms (cabinets, but no tile yet):



Master bedroom (with cabinets & tile):



And the kitchen (with cabinets & tile), which looks AMAZING:



And the living room with most of the tile put down:



BEAUTIFUL!!
And to think that I was super worried about the color we had selected. Good thing I couldn't change my mind without paying some ridiculous "I'm indecisive fee." It would have been a shame to miss this. Bryan wants credit for reminding me that it was going to be fine, so here's his credit :)

Also, I saw this today when I went to get some yarn at Hobby Lobby:



I didn't get it, but how cute would that be above the back door?

No comments:

Post a Comment