Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pedal Party

Wow, what a weekend! Actually, wow what a last few weeks is what I should really say, because we've been hanging, painting, cleaning, planning, baking, chopping, you name it, for weeks. I wanted to have an Open House for 2 reasons .... 1, because it would give us a chance to show lots of family and friends at the same time what our brand new, pretty and awesome house looks like, and 2, it would give us a "dead line" to get things that would otherwise probably be put off done - like hanging curtains, for instance. But more about the Open House in the next post .... it deserves its own!

This leads me into talking about Friday, though. First, Bryan went to the DPS, which was not exciting, but then we cleaned all morning long- also not exciting :). My parents took us to lunch at La Marias (yum! thanks!) and then came over to help us! (Did I mention my parents are amazing?) Bryan mowed and did some weed eating, Mom steamed the curtains, and Dad & I hung all of the things that have just been sitting on the floor waiting to be hung like diplomas, frames, mirrors, etc. Maverick, of course, was a curious spectator to all of these proceedings. Thankfully Bryan had helped me get a lot done bef0re Friday so it wasn't too bad, but we really appreciated the 2 extra sets of helping hands.

Then my parents took Maverick home with them to puppysit for the evening while Bryan and I took off downtown for Andrew's surprise birthday party. Y'all may already know how friendly Maverick is ... but this has never been a problem until he really wanted to meet some fishermen in the lake a few yards away from my parents house, haha. Thankfully he chose at the last minute NOT to jump in the lake and swim over there. What a nut.

We met our friends at Beavers, a really unique restaurant, with waiters that are intentionally rude (who does that?), but made one of the BEST burgers I've ever had! I wonder what they do to it? Delicious.



Then we all headed over to this warehouse where we went on the "Pedal Party." I had NO idea what to expect, so I was pretty amused when I saw this upon arrival:



(Please excuse all of these terrible pictures ... we had to use a cell phone since I didn't have my camera.)



It's a moving bar! It's a cart made mostly out of wood with two sides (bars) facing each other with "bar stools" that are bicycle seats. In between the two sides is a long space meant for the bar tender who pours beer from the tap of the keg as all of the people sit on their "stools" and literally pedal the cart around downtown. I was basically dead weight because my feet didn't reach the pedals :( But I did lots of cheering for all the hard work of Bryan & our friends!! :) Thankfully Hayley was too short too, so I didn't feel so bad all by myself, haha.

We hopped on, drank beer as we pedaled down the streets of downtown going about 3 miles an hour .... and then hopped off at a pub, ordered drinks, got back on the cart, pedaled to the next bar, got off, drank, etc... Doesn't that sound ridiculous? But it was actually fun! And HOT! Thank you humid Houston. And what surprised me the most was that this was LEGAL. Apparently there's a random "loose liquor" law that makes this allowed.

Here's a picture where you can see Andrew's parents pedaling along, and the tap for the keg:



Bryan and I in front of the cart at one of the bars:



Some of our friends pedaling hard & drinking beer - Jacob, Adam & Adam:



Bryan & Adam at one of the coolest bars I've seen. It's an old, converted gas station made into an open concept bar with games like Jinga & Cornhole to play. They also make a very good Tom Collins :):


Can you see how covered in sweat they are? Moving that cart is hard work!

It was so weird, but also a lot of fun. I'm glad Bryan talked me into going! Like I said, I wasn't really sure what to expect. Plus we met some really nice people, which is always a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment