Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Aw, crumbs!

We're both posting tonight! Just thought I'd let you know that I got another new student yesterday! I had the song from the Sound of Music "I am 15 going on 16" stuck in my head forever :)

16 is a nice even number, 4 to each of my tables.

Plus it was a girl! I keep getting more and more boys, so I was kind of relieved to see my numbers were going to start evening out again. She pretty much cried all day long, but the really hard sobbing stopped around lunch.

I noticed that whenever someone from our front office walks down the hallway with a scared looking child, maybe a parent, and a green slip of paper we all tense up, waiting to see which of us gets the new student. It's SO much easier to start with a big number than to get new students! 5 year olds need to be told EVERYTHING about 20 times (or more) to really learn a new rule or procedure, so every time we get someone new we have to start from scratch. You'd think my students who have already been there for 8 days would be like, "this is how we do it" except most of them still can't remember or make the choice to NOT do it correctly, so I'm not sure I want them teaching her how "they" do it, haha.

My new student today made sure to crunch up all of her crackers from lunch and then throw the pieces/crumbs ALL over the gym floor during P.E., which the coaches were NOT happy about. We had a talk about making decisions and then the consequences that follow the decisions. When the consequences included her helping to sweep up the mess you can only imagine how loudly she screamed. Taking responsibility for our actions is HARD - at 60 years old, 23 years old, and 5 years old.

This is the first story I thought I could appropriately post - you wouldn't believe some of the other nonsense my students get up to, although we're making progress I like to believe :)

The power of positive thinking!

I love sitting here and listening to Bryan play the guitar. I think I'm going to listen to him for a little while and then sleep the deep sleep of the exhausted first year teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment