Saturday, September 18, 2010

Surprise Visit!

Thank goodness it's SATURDAY which means no school!! I did attend an ALL day T.A.L.L. training :( but thankfully there were no children I needed to watch over. I do need weekends to spend time with some adults!

On Friday there was a very unexpected but fun visit to my classroom - from my parents! I had no idea they were coming, but during my lunch break I got a call from the front office saying "parents" were there. I was very confused because parent/teacher conferences are usually scheduled in advance and NOT ever during my lunch break (teachers deserve that 20 minute break!) So I hurried to the office and lo and behold, my Mom & Dad were standing there waiting for me! What a cool surprise! They wanted to meet my students and see the classroom. It was great timing because I was about to collect my students from lunch and walk them back to the classroom. My parents officially checked in and then joined us in the "march" to the Kindergarten hallway. I think Dad found the bubbles & ducktails they have to do pretty silly :)

When we got back to the classroom I had my students sit with their partner in their assigned spot on the floor (they all spread out). Then I introduced my parents! I think my kids were super surprised I have a Mom and Dad too, haha. Then, since we had been practicing speaking in complete sentences all week, I had each student stand up, and use complete sentences to introduce themselves to my parents - giving their name and something that they like. It was really cute and ALL of them used complete sentences!! (Proud teacher moment.) PLUS they almost all also used the good listening skills we've been practicing (meaning not talking or rolling around or trying to eat someone's hair, etc., while someone else is talking) - double proud teacher moment :)

Then, continuing with our math sorting unit, I passed out a small container of varied buttons to each pair and they started sorting their buttons by size or color while my parents walked around and visited with some of the kids.

I LOVE surprises and that was so sweet :)

I also wanted to leave you with an adorable photo of my students with their leaf project. One or two of my students are missing, but it's still really cute! They were SO proud of these projects!



And here's a photo of my students just looking cute.
It's really providence that 5 year olds are this adorable :)



We just finished eating at Hasta La Pasta because they gave all teachers a $20 gift certificate (yay!) and then we got some delicious gelato, yummm.

Now we're watching some college football and enjoying a relaxing evening at home.

Tomorrow is an extra special day - can you guess what it is??

No comments:

Post a Comment