Monday, August 22, 2011

1st Day of School

It seems like I wrote a post like this .... maybe a year ago? :)

The difference is last year I was scared out of my mind and about to start teaching Kindergarten (SCARY!) and this year I was more stressed out of my mind and about to start teaching High School (Less scary, but more stressful!)

In summary, however, Kindergarten < High School.

My 10th graders are incredible!! I am so excited about teaching 10th grade English/World Studies. My 9th graders are a little squirrely, so I'll just have to stay firm to make sure we actually accomplish something in the 9th grade English/World Studies classes. Speech only meets on Wednesday/Fridays so I can't yet comment on that class, but I'm hoping for great things! :)

I did (finally!) get "big kid" furniture, so that my teenage students didn't need to sit in 1st and 2nd grade chairs at tiny little tables, which would have been slightly less than ideal. I also had plenty of time to set up and arrange my tables and chairs with a seating arrangement before the students got there. (I was the 2nd teacher to arrive this morning... I know, I know. I'm NOT going to make that a habit this year though!) My students weren't thrilled about a seating arrangement, but that's how it goes when I'm the teacher. The big, mean, vicious teacher that I am :)

Anyway, on a scale of 1-100, I'd give today at least a 75 which is pretty darn good for a first day of school!!! I'm thinking it's only going to get better too, which is wonderful.

I hope everyone else had a good first day of school!

2 comments: