Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Senior Self-Perception

Today in the 12th Grade English class we read the prologue to Ellison's novel the Invisible Man. After we finished reading it, I had them use the format of the beginning of the prologue to create their own version. In the Invisible Man's prologue, the narrator is stating what he is and what he is not according to how he perceives himself. I had them all write one using their own self-perception. I was so excited about the assignment (dorky teacher alert) that I decided to write one for myself, too.

Enjoy them!
(In case you can't read them I will translate below)


These are so precious, and I already told the students not to plan to get them back because I will treasure them forever :) Keep in mind this is Legacy's very FIRST graduating class! We have 5 seniors and they will be graduating this May!

Top left: Alex
I am intelligent.
No, I am not stupid; nor am I ignorant.
I am loving and thoughtful – and I might even be said to be a good listener.

Top right: Me
I am colorful.
No, I am not in costume; nor am I covered in paint.
I am a mommy with juicy applesauce on my shirt and bright red spaghetti sauce in my hair, and a teacher with red pen marks on my hands and white chalk dust on my black slacks – and I might even be said to be wearing mismatched socks because I’m as tired as I am loving my colorful life.

Middle left: Emily
I am blessed.
No, I am not ungrateful; nor am I selfish.
I am understanding, and a leader at times – and I might even be said to be one of a kind.

Middle Right: Raymond
I am unexpected.
No, I am not noticed; nor am I forgotten.
I am raising up, and not slowing down – and I might even be said to make it far.

Bottom left: Katherine
I am unsure of the future.
No, I am not afraid; nor am I trying to control it.
I am letting my worries drift to tomorrow, and being bold – and I might even be said to take the path less traveled.

Bottom right: Colby
I am funny.
No,  I am not corny; nor am I cheesy.
I am sweet, and nice – and I might even be said to be a man of confidence.


No comments:

Post a Comment