Thursday, December 30, 2010

*Discontinued*

It really all started yesterday when Bryan & I dragged Meemaw furniture shopping with us to get her opinion on the pieces we'd narrowed our search down to. Thanks for coming with us Meemaw!! Our adventure turned out a little more dangerous than expected when my CRV tried to float off on the feeder road on I-45, though .... turns out Houston REALLY floods when it rains that hard. And boy was it raining! Here's one photo we managed to get when the rain let up and the waters weren't so deep that I couldn't navigate:



However, the successful part of the day was that Meemaw helped us finalize our decision! Thank you! If only we'd known to order yesterday, though!

Then Bryan and I settled our nerves with a nice margarita and some fajita tacos at Los Cucos. Yumm.

Then Tyler, Collin, and Steven came over to play Apples to Apples, have a few drinks, hang out & watch Inception. I realize this is not necessarily related to my story, but it was fun! Tyler decided to spend the night and recklessly committed to hanging out with us today. I'm sure he regrets his decision now, though, haha. Sorry Tyler!!

We took ourselves off to Freebirds for lunch (Tyler can't get Freebirds in Colorado Springs - which is basically a crises situation) and then started the day of dramatics and rising stress levels. I should have realized furniture shopping couldn't possibly be as easy as making a selection and paying for it. Don't worry, though, I'm much wiser now.

I think what may have started things off on the wrong foot was that the guy at Rooms To Go we've been working with was OFF today! No! And this freaking crazy lady was determined to help us instead. I'm sure she's very nice, but the dramatic way she was talking about everything made me feel dizzy. First she told us that the wedge (just the wedge, of course!) for the sectional we'd decided on WAS DISCONTINUED THE NIGHT BEFORE! Can you believe that? I find that absolutely ridiculous. She claimed that if we wanted to purchase the sectional we had to purchase the ENTIRE "room" display - mind you, this included the sectional (sofa, love seat & wedge) PLUS the extra large chair, ottoman, rug, rug pad and random lamp. Really? And we couldn't get the fabric protection on it. And we'd have to take it home IMMEDIATELY.

REALLY!!?!?!??!? I don't think so.

After an hour of waiting around and arguing, I think she understood that we did NOT want the show "room" set, we wanted a NEW sectional (and yes that includes the wedge) that we could get the fabric protection on and that they could hold in extended delivery as we were promised yesterday, discontinued wedge or not.
And, miraculously, she got in touch with the buyer and he said he still had a few wedges, and could pass one along to us.... hmph.

Anyway, in the end Bryan & I bought our first piece of furniture for the new house! I REALLY wish they had not made a sale on us, but we do love this sectional! (Sorry the photos are a little dark. The lighting around it was kind of weird.)



And wouldn't you know it? The sectional wedge was taken off the website tonight. What kind of crazy timing is that? Absurd. I think Tyler was a little afraid.

We calmed our nerves and decided to head over to Star Furniture where they had the coffee table & end tables we loved. And wouldn't you know it?
THEY WERE DISCONTINUED TOO!
Good grief.

However, yet again, the lady was miraculously able to order them for us despite them being discontinued.

*Side note: I think this whole "discontinued" thing is fraud.*

They are gorgeous, with simple lines, solid wood, nice caramel oak finish, and will pretty much last forever. And even better - Bryan loves them! That always makes me happy. Check them out:

I was almost too scared to go to La-Z-Boy as planned. I think Bryan & Tyler were a little scared too - mostly for the sales person. If the man had told me the chairs we wanted were discontinued, who knows what I would have done?

And .... they weren't discontinued. Very convenient for the sales guy. However, as frayed as my nerves were feeling, I just couldn't handle picking out a fabric right then, so we left. Tomorrow Bryan & I are going with Mom. She's pretty good at that kind of thing. I took pretty good notes about which fabrics I was kind of leaning towards, so we don't have to look through EVERYTHING again. Phew.

But isn't everything lovely!? Even if it is "discontinued"?? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment