Thursday, August 26, 2010

14 going on 15

I got another new student today, and he's a handful. I was getting my class semi-settled and they were falling into some sort of basic routine with our rules and procedures and along came Mr. Tough-Stuff. If you see a Kindergarten teacher in the next few days, throw your arms around them and thank them for the fairly thankless work they do :)

I work in a pretty difficult school setting. We are a Title 1 school which means our student (and parent) population is really different from the schools most of you reading this (and I) came from. I have 13 African American and 2 Hispanic students. One of the other kinder classes is almost entirely Asian. I think there may be 2 Caucasian students in our entire grade level composed of 6(!) classes. (It's a pretty big school.) This in itself isn't that different, but adding the economically disadvantaged issue into the equation makes it MUCH more difficult. These children need to have a different set of rules, attitudes and behaviors to survive in their world. They HAVE to be tough and they feel the need to be defiant and act like nothing you say matters because that's how they have to be in their home lives.

But they're 5 years old. They need love. And many of them REALLY need an authority figure.

I happen to be an authority figure, so it works out well. I also have their best interests at heart. Unfortunately I also happen to not have a CLUE how to teach Kindergarten!! But given the circumstances, I'm learning VERY fast. I'm pretty sure I'm learning WAY more than they are right now!

I feel like I need to give 2/3 of my class major kudos for how far along they're coming though. We've got our alphabetically arranged line finally working!! Now if only we could work on not shoving or kicking other students while in line...

I have had one student making some pretty bad decisions. I have my first parent/principal/teacher conference tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous. I also have my first principal observation tomorrow which makes me really nervous. I'll just do what I'm doing and hope they have some very good advice on how to make it better!

Pathetic admission for the day: I cried.
It took me 4 days to get there though!! I kind of feel like it's a victory. And it waited until the students were officially gone, so that's another victory.
I know the other Kinder teachers are struggling right now too. This is the toughest part of the school year and I know I will survive. Keep me in your prayers!!

Anyone wondering if Bryan is still around since most posts are all about me?
He's good! In fact, he's great :) He's been the sweetest husband ever this past week. He's working hard on finishing all he needs to do since tomorrow is his LAST day at Brazos Technology! Can you believe it? The month has gone by so fast.

More news once I actually get some good sleep this weekend!
Plus, I need to finish my lesson plans for tomorrow :/ Eeek.

No comments:

Post a Comment