Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hiya Neighbor

This pooped girl is about to go to bed, but thought I'd share about Day 2 of orientation before I shut down completely.

But first, last night after I'd gone to bed there was a lot of knocking on our door. I hate answering the door at night if I don't already know someone's coming and I REALLY didn't like it when no one else was at home, but I turned on the light and stumbled over the door and hollered "who's there!?" through the door. I heard giggling and the answer, "your neighbors!" Truly against my better judgment, I opened the door a smidgen and peered out. Thankfully, it turns out it really was our neighbors! They gave us a welcoming gift of bread, peanut butter and jelly and were just wanting to meet us. I thought that was so incredibly sweet and I feel terrible about how rude/timid/asleep I was when we talked. I wrote them a thank you note this morning explaining that I was mostly asleep and promised to head over to meet them (again) when Bryan is in town and I'm fully dressed :) How friendly is that though!? We have lovely neighbors apparently!

I immediately went back to sleep and woke up nice and early again to attend New Teacher Orientation Day 2. This time we met at Faithbridge Methodist Church, which I think we're going to try this Sunday anyway, so it was nice to get a look inside. Today they were actually expecting me!! (unlike yesterday) so I actually had a place:



Which made me feel better about attending :)
I still felt a little foolish though because I was the ONLY first-year teacher new to Nitsch Elementary!! I was a little island all by myself ... sad times ... until thankfully the Nitsch mentor showed up to watch the orientation! (She'll be presenting it next year, apparently.) I felt much better after she showed up. We were paired with the new first-year teachers from Benfer Elementary and they were all good people too.

They gave us a ton of literature to read, so I've been trying to get through all of it before tomorrow. I did really well from about 7am-1:45pm, but started massively shutting down around then. 2-3:30 was more like torture than training (and from all of the wiggling, shifting, whispering, and checking phones on the sly all around the room, I think MANY other people were feeling the same). Tomorrow we report to the same place, but hopefully I'll be engaged the ENTIRE time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment