Monday, August 9, 2010

Am I oriented yet?

Today was the first day of New Teacher Orientation held at Klein Collin's High School. The morning got off to a rocky start, but quickly improved, thank goodness. I met the 2 other teachers starting at Nitsch this year, although they both have quite a bit of experience. I can tell I'm going to really enjoy getting to know both of them this year. Unfortunately, because they already have experience and I'm a complete newbie, I'm on my own tomorrow while they attend a different training. Meeting new people every day!

A union and two professional teacher organizations were represented today and we had the opportunity to visit with them before the day started and during our lunch break. It is recommended that ALL teachers are involved in some sort of organization primarily for liability insurance, but some organizations offer much more than that. (I pray I never need the liability insurance!) I'm pretty sure I've decided to join one of the professional organizations, but I'm going to check over the information they gave us today before I decide. The dues are ever so slightly more, but they offer a lot of neat and informative trainings and workshops locally(!) which is wonderful and a huge plus. I'm WAY more likely to attend a workshop somewhere in Houston than driving to Oklahoma or some other state. This may sound odd, but I also just feel weird about the idea of joining a union... I don't think it's for me, although it sounds like they have some great things going for them too.

I drove home, changed clothes and hit up the gym. After working out, I walked nearly all the way home and decided I hadn't had enough fresh air yet today so I took a walk! I think I sweat nearly as much walking outside as I did on the elliptical inside --- It's HOT!! Although the elliptical certainly wore me out more :) Then there were some little boys playing in the apartment swimming pool so I sat on the side of the pool and visited with them a little bit while their Dad soaked in the hot tub, haha. I hope I have some sweet boys like them in my class!! I think I just love people.

Now I'm home, made dinner & am watching HGTV. I've been doing lots of research lately and gathering good teaching resources and lesson plan/activity ideas, so I will probably end up doing some more of that this evening too. Bryan, on the other hand, will be attending a Fightin' Texas Aggie FOOTBALL practice tonight! Those that know my husband will be excited for him too :) They aren't allowed to take phones, cameras or video recorders (or anything like that) into the practice to protect the integrity of the practice and team, I guess. He's been pretty much addicted to TexAgs reading all of those football forums, so I bet he really enjoys it. If we must be apart for a while, I'm glad we can stay busy and have fun!

Am I ready for Orientation round 2 tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment